Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week One

It’s been a tiring and inspiring first week at Summer Institute. I feel like I’ve already learned a great deal that I can implement in my classroom. This experience has made me excited about beginning a new school year.

Jenny Brandon’s demonstration Monday opened us up to the possibilities of Readers’ Theater. Having students get into groups and prepare fun and entertaining skits will help them achieve a better understanding of the text, and the other students observing will be able to hear the text in a whole new way. One thing I really like about Readers’ Theater is it doesn’t require a ton of work from the teacher. I also like "the stare."


Also on Monday Lana Warren presented a demonstration on using music to teach poetry and other subjects. We responded to questions about our favorite songs and also analyzed song lyrics to find alliteration, hyperbole, similes, metaphors, and other literary elements.



On Tuesday, Doug Billings of Lauderdale Middle School presented Mister Pickle: Story and Poetry Starters. His demonstration showed us some great new ideas, and we had a lot of fun. I’ve used the write-and-pass-and write technique before, but I had never seen those cool Story Starter cards before, and the idea to group them and have them choose the best one to share with the class was new to me.

Tara Erwin’s demonstration was a great lesson on adding detail. She gave us a story that lacked detail and we practiced improving it by thinking of vivid verbs and description.  Dana Craddock, a social studies teacher at Ridgemont Elementary, presented a great way to teach history. We paired up and researched various people (peasants, serfs, knights, kings, queens) of the Middle Ages. We then wrote from the point of view of a medieval character we created. 






I liked Jenny’s tech lesson about Mouse Mischief. I would really like for all of my students to be able to point and click correct choices for a test review or a grammar exercise. I am excited that this is free, and I am looking into getting some wireless mice so that I can use this in my classroom.






Michael Bentley’s demonstration “The Reader is an Idiot” was both hilarious and valuable. What a great way to show students the importance of details and clarity. Watching him pick up those Hershey’s Kisses with his mouth was so funny!


 


Tiana Page of Camden Junior High School presented us with the idea of teaching students about organization by thinking of a hamburger. Her ideas were excellent, and they can be adapted for the eleventh grade TCAP Writing Assessment focus, which is persuasive writing.



I cried my eyes out during the read-around Thursday, but it was a great way to end the week. I’m glad I got to hear them all. The piece Doug Billings read was terrific; I think he should try to publish it. I also liked Michael Bentley’s story, with its scary twist at the end.




The week has gone by quickly, and I have loved it. We have a great group this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment